Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Home Brew

And I don't mean beer. Although, while we're (sorta) on the subject, I want to mention some of the best beer I've ever tried is my father's home brew.

Now that we've got that out of the way, the subject of this post is actually about what kind of coffee I make at home.

I'm a fan of darker roasts. Not the Starbucks style, "Burnt until all you taste is carbon" dark, but dark as is "We've roasted these bad boys until they've surrendered all their flavor." Light roasts are a lil too subtle for me, and as a rule they aren't my favorite.

Not too long ago, I was drinking the 100% Columbian variety from Folger's Coffee House Series. It was dark, it was flavorful. I liked it. Then, one day, my girlfriend was at the store buying coffee for me, and called to say, "Hey, they have this dark roast stuff called Black Silk that's cheaper. Want that?"

And lordy, what a great suggestion it was. It's not only a darker roast than the Columbian, but it's got a much more bold flavor. It really reaches out and smacks me in the face from the first sip to the last, and man what a delicious smell...

In short, I'd go out and try some of this stuff. It's really worth a taste, if you like dark roasts.

No comments: