Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Java's

I deliver pizzas in the Gahanna area. Every now and again, I drive by a sign advertising Java's Cyber Cafe drive thru. I'm always intrigued by new coffee shops, but I deliver pizzas too late to drink coffee and I'm rarely down that way if I'm not working. C'est la vie.

So when I decided I would make weekend trips to various coffee shops and review them, Java's made the list right away. Sarah and I made the trip last Sunday.

Java's sits as an anchor on a newish strip mall. They do have a drive thru, and free wifi. They also offers several computers with internet access for you to work on, their claim to fame. You can print in color for $.50/page.

Aside from the computer work stations and some local photography for sale on the walls, Java's is very reminiscent of a Starbucks. Not in the important ways: The coffee was better, and the atmosphere less corporate, and the net access is free. But the layout and decor of the lobby, the look of the bar, and the items on the menu are nearly interchangable.

The service was excellent! The barrista was very friendly and involved in our order. Java's serves Crimson Cup coffee, fair trade and organic, which is quite tasty. They also serve smoothies, which Sarah assures me are quite yummy. Decaf available, but I didn't see anything specifically sugar free or otherwise health conscious.

While the space is just about big enough to host music or poetry events, I didn't see evidence of such goings on. Java's offers a few prepackaged foods, like cereal boxes and pastries, but nothing made on site. You see the beginnings of being a player in the community (the art on the walls, the business card rack full of local businesses) but as Sarah said, there is plenty of room to expand that angle.

Java's is not a bohemian, characteresque coffee shop but it doesn't have to be. If you need a place for a good cup of coffee and internet access, Java's is more than up to the task. Perfect for that cup of coffee on the way to work or on the way out for the evening, or if you need to use a computer/printer in a hurry.

If you're ever in Gahanna jonesing for some coffee, stop in or drive thru Java's Cyber Cafe!

No comments: