Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Scottie's Coffee and Tea House

I finally made it out to Scottie's Coffee and Tea House, in Ye Olde Worthington, OH. I actually visited the place twice last week, once with a friend and once on my own. I really enjoyed myself, and I may just have to drop in more often.

If you need a reminder on how I've set up my review system, you might just want to go here.

Wifi
Free wifi is available. I didn't catch the service they use, and since I used my Centro while there I didn't find out for myself. There were quite a few people online both times I was at the store, and several of them looked camped out for extended periods (class projects, one guy editing a power point presentation). No equipment provided for computer users...but there are old-school Ms. Pacman and Centipede machines available for 50 cents a ride.
Rating: Full Mug for free access and making patrons comfortable enough to stay for hours.

Space/Layout
Scotties is laid out essentially as a roomy horseshoe. There are two doors in, and either one leads to a couple of intimate seating areas. The bar runs along one wall, facing the main room where you find larger tables, a couch, and several armchairs that accomodate large groups easily. Drip coffee is served from a table of vacuum pump carafes, and the condiment bar is right across from them (easy as pie to find).
Rating: Full Mug for having plenty of space, a variety of comfy seating, and simple to find essentials.

Menu
The drinks offered strike a good balance between espresso classics (cappucino) and pricier, more exotic fair (Surly Girl Scout). The menu itself is clear and uncluttered without being boring. In addition to some excellent drip coffee (I enjoyed a cup of Highlander Grog, always a winner) Scotties offers a full range of hot and cold espresso products, and well as smoothies, teas, and simple food (PBJ sandwiches, hummus, coffee cake).
Rating: Full Mug for having a simple menu that delivers what a reasonable patron would want.

Price
Prices are reasonable. You can get a 20 oz. cup of coffee for $2, and refills for $1 a piece. There's also a bottomless mug option for $2.68 a cup...free refills, but it'll take you three mugs to earn back the investment. Other price checks: 20 oz latte, $4. Flavored latte, $4.75 for 20 oz.
Rating: Full Mug for not price gouging, and providing a balance between profit and value with the bottomless mug option.

Ambience
Scotties has one of the best coffee house feels I've run into. It smells like coffee, has the classic coffee shop patrons (college students, bohemians, old men playing chess). The furniture has a unique, not-bought-from-Sysco feel to it. There's even original art work on the walls and for sale...photographs by Cheryl and Doug Kneisley, underwater scenes from the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Florida Keys.
Rating: Full Mug because I don't think they could be more like an indie coffee shop if they tried...because, well, that's what they are.

Let me finish off with a couple pictures of the place...I neglected to get a shot of the storefront like I'd planned, but I might be able to update that at a later date. If you're anywhere near Worthington, Scotties is a great place to stop for a bit...just a couple minutes south of 270 on US-23.

Rating Overall: Five full, steaming mugs of java!

Scotties Table

Scotties Inside 1

Scotties Inside 2

No comments: