Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Enter the Coffee Shop

One of the clearest and fondest memories I have of my high school days revolves around Dunkin Donuts. I had a car of my own, money in my pocket, and now had the chance to stop at yummy food places when I went out.

One of the first stops I made was Dunkin Donuts. I had tried their coffee before, on trips to Massachusetts to visit family. I had vague memories that it was good stuff, but to be honest it'd been a while. I'd become accustomed to...lesser brews, shall we say.

I became hooked after my first stop, and I had a bad habit of showing up late to my weekly volunteer gig because I couldn't help but go out of my way to the nearest Dunkin Donuts. It was magical. I craved it. The smoothest, sweetest blend ever.

About this time Joe arrived on the scene. We met and stuck up a friendship based primarily on two things: Mutual like for Billy Joel and love for coffee. It was with Joe I discovered the pleasure of just "getting a cup of coffee," as well as White Castle coffee (Darker than DD, but just as smooth and with a touch of mocha to it).

Dunkin Donuts is a nice place to sit, eat something sweet, and drink some fine java. But it's not very comfy, the chairs are NOT for lounging, and the whole atmosphere is geared (quite correctly) towards commuter breakfast people: get in, get out, get to work. White Castle? It's a fast food burger joint. Again, fabulous coffee...but not some place you can sit and relax. And neither of these places is really conducive to creating a rapport with the staff (food service turnover being what it is).

Of course, one really can't explore the joys of coffee in American society without at least TRYING Starbucks...

No comments: