Sunday, August 24, 2008

Miscellaneous Stops

There were other coffee shops I've been too, with Joe and on my own. Scattered across the country even. Coffee shops for the sake of coffee shops is what the game is all about, and whenever I see a new one I'm drawn to it.

One of my more favorite spots in Cincinnati is Lookout Joe's. It's a local business, for one thing. Roasts their own coffee (if you get there at the right time, you can watch them roasting...and THAT is cool). It's a neat space, very...I don't know the word. But it's a cross between a warehouse space and a loft apartment. The main issue there is parking, because Lookout Square is...well, cramped. It's a cute, scenic, older part of town and that means paying for or not even finding parking. The service tends to be a lil slow in the afternoon and evenings...only one person on duty with too much to do. I once waited 45 minutes for the poor girl to refill the coffee carafe

Another neat space is Coffee Emporium. I'd link you, but...their website seems to be pretty broken. It's an old house on Erie Ave in Hyde Park, and the first floor is all knick-knacky like a garage sale, and also where you find the bar. The second floor is all tables and chairs, reminiscent of a 1 room school house. The coffee was pretty good, and if you like older buildings this is a neat place to be. Again, parking is a bit of an issue...but usually you can find something on street.

One of the flat out coolest coffee shops I've ever been to is Java Moon in Denver, Colorado. It's closed now, but it was a store front with garage door windows, a cool center bar, and a kitchen with a really nice breakfast and lunch menu. There were plenty of booths, tables, and living room areas...and it was pretty yummy coffee. Joe and I once spent four or five hours chatting and catching up there...they had to kick us out. It's still in my mind as a template for the store I want to open.

I've got another post about cool coffee spots coming...I wrote it out in one huge thing, and realized...I don't want to put up a post this long. So till then, add some cream.

No comments: