Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Miscellaneous Stops Deuce

Here's the 2nd part of my wrap-up of coffee shops and chains I've been to over the years.

While in Duluth, Minnesota on a romantic liason, I was introduced to Caribou Coffee. I...fell in love, basically, with the coffee shop (and the girl...but THAT is another story for another blog). A wood-cabin theme, dark and light roasts ready to serve, and unique espresso beverages (with candies in them!) all add up to make this a pleasant place. They offer free wifi (with purchase), and have a nice mix of comfy seats and workable tables. While still a big corporation (they ARE in fifteen states) they aren't completely corporate, and each store has it's own feel to it.

Another of my Colorado stops has been Coyote's Coffee Den. There are a number of these locations scattered across the Southwest of Colorado, from Canon City to Penrose to Pueblo. I've only ever hit the Penrose location, since that's a) where my sister works and b) it's on the way to everything civilized (read: Colorado Springs and Denver). They've got really nice coffee. Like, best mocha I've ever had. The Western motif is pretty neat too. Not the most comfortable place I've ever seen, but this place is set up more for commuter traffic than idlers like myself. They also have a kitchen where they do light breakfast and lunch far.

My latest discovery was a place called Coffee 'n' Cream, a coffee shop/soft serve place in Marriemont, on the East Side of Cincy. A tiny shop, run by a guy named Joe (not hanging-out-all-night-Joe) who gets really excited about his products. I've burned a bit of time listening to him tell me the difference between how he brews his iced coffee and his hot coffee. The coffee...really is good. I mean, fabulous. Pretty good pricing too. Not the most comfy, but with free wifi and s nice radio system, you're good for a 20 minute break or so from the day. And besides...you can get icecream there. Coffee and icecream together...the man needs an international prize of some sort.

So that's it. When I think coffee shops, I think of these places listed in the last two posts. I like them all, for different reasons. Ideally, I'd walk into a coffee shop that could encompass all of these traits...and since I don't think that's gonna happen, I may just have to open my own.

No comments: