Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Culture

Recently, I took it upon myself to stick around my day job an extra fifteen minutes and show a new guy a couple things. Nothing serious...just where the store-use tools are, how to mark down damaged stuff, whom to pay attention to.

It was enough to remind me of the days when I did orientations for Wendy's. Orientations were probably the best part of my job, with training a close second. When you bring a new person into an organization, the first couple days are the key. It sets the tone for their entire experience. Its when you set the standard a person will measure other input against.

It's re-creating part of the organization. Making what you have better (or ensuring its continued success) simply by taking the time to set someone up properly. I think about a startup, a cafe or restaurant from scratch where one doesn't have to inocculate against staff with the wrong idea or attitude...and it makes me happy.

My sister has worked in a coffee shop off and on for the past few years. She's also worked in a small restaurant, closely with the owner/operators. Her opinion is that I romanticize the start up process, creating that culture. Her opinion is that the initial training wave is great, it goes just as you expect...but, after successive waves of new employees, things get less and less shiny. There's more drama, more disappointment.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. I never said it'd be easy to create a culture of excellence, to maintain it, to get buy in from the employees. If it was easy, we'd never complain about the crap service at McDonalds. We'd never wonder why Starbucks can't get our drink right. We'd never hate our boss. I've come close a few times, but I've always been sabotaged by the company. The GM won't buy in, or the company wouldn't allow enough labor hours for training, or the pay is too low for anyone to give a rat's ass.

Starting from scratch, with a blank slate to draw on? I could do a heck of a lot more than try to make a guy feel valued by showing him where to find a wrench, while warning him that Jimbob is full of shit. The possibility is what excites me, the idea of no outside limits on what I want to accomplish.

No comments: