Monday, April 27, 2009

Rapid Turnover...?

Sorry its a day late...I didn't realize I had only saved the post, not published it!

I'm pondering what to do when you lose two key employees on the same night, a situation my sister is indirectly coping with. It's a simple issue...what are you gonna do when you have to fill slots on the schedule? You can only ask the remaining employees to cover so much, so you gotta hire new people soon as possible.

That often means hiring someone crappy though...someone you don't vette properly because of the time crunch.

This is a two fold issue, since as an owner/operator you sabotage the culture, the efficiency, maybe even the safety and security of your business. As one of the new person's coworkers, you have to directly put up with someone who you have to train, who might have attitude or ability problems.

It's a cycle that means the rest of your key people lose their value as they become demoralized, or even quit. And if you have no key people, you have no culture. If you have no culture (or a culture of "It's just a job") you won't be able to retain employees OR customers.

Death spin! Oh noes.

How do you deal with the issue then? How do you avoid the death spiral of bandaid hiring?

You, as an owner/operator, have to get on line for a few days and fill the spot. Or get buy in from the team, pay out overtime or other perks for people picking up shifts. Bandaid moves...but bandaids that are sterile, and won't infect the wound.

I'm also a big believer in always hiring...so in my shop, I'd have a few people I'd just interviewed not long ago I could call up and get started. Somewhere in all of these options, the shop would weather the storm, with a stronger sense of self. It's more art than science...but I'll try and keep exploring this topic, since good human resource management is hard to find.

Thoughts?

No comments: