Thursday, April 9, 2009

Review System

I've been trying to figure out how to better review coffee shops, in a more fair and objective way. While I like writing my impressions on these things and letting you come to your own conclusions, I realize some people may not want to interpret my thoughts. They want them on a platter, ready to digest. And I understand that with no judgement.

There's also the element of trying to keep my thoughts more or less consistent. This isn't talk radio, where I'm going to condemn the first caller for taking a particular action, then praise the last caller for the same thing. The key with most things of this sort? Keeping track of what your stance is, what the rubric is.

So what's the rubric? There's the hard part, friends. That's what I'm going to try and come up with today (in no particular order).

  1. Wifi. Is it there? Is it free? How much does it cost? Is there space to use my computer? How long will I be able to sit there without the stink eye? Do they provide equipment to enable internet addiction?
  2. Space/Layout. How big is the place (uncomfortably huge, uncomfortably small, or just right)? How is it laid out? Is the furniture "coffee shop appropriate?" Do you have to hunt for the condiment bar? Where are the bathrooms?
  3. Menu. Are we looking at something too simple? Too filled with custom (expensive) drinks? Are there helpful explanations on the board? Easy to read in any event? Does it have anything I want to drink/eat?
  4. Price. Self explanatory, but...are they delivering a good value for the cost? Especially compared to other shops.
  5. Ambience. Does this place feel like a coffee shop? Like an independent shop, or a supermarket Starbucks? Is it a community center...live music, message boards, charity work, whatever? (Those places feel different from the others).

I think five categories is more than I can really keep track of. Thank goodness for the PDA.

Now...how to rate? Using stars is traditional, which is why I shun them without consideration. Coffee mugs...hrm...there's an idea. Partial mugs of coffee makes even more sense than partial stars, as well, and I definitely believe in giving partial credit where due.

By George, I think we have it.

No comments: